Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Atomic Bomb Education

I just wanted to share the New York Times' article The Bomb Chroniclers by William J. Broad. I don't have too much to say about it analysis wise, but I learned a few things so I thought it was worth mentioning. It is about the first tests of the atomic bomb in the US before we used the technology on Japan to end World War II.

The tests were recorded by videographers, and over the last few years the government has been declassifying the video so that it is now available to the public. The article talks about the experiences of the people who took photos and videos of the tests and also about what has happened to their work, documentaries, books, etc.

In J620 this week we talked about the atomic bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the humanitarian angle, and in J669 we read excerpts of Hiroshima by John Hersey so the topic was already on my mind. Its always good to learn new things and I don't really know too much about the tests that came before actually dropping the bomb to end the war so I enjoyed reading this article to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment